Apple cider vinegar for weight loss
What is it?-It is fermented juice from crushed apples.
What does it contain?
- Minerals : (minor) Na, Mg, Ca, K and P
- Vitamins: B1, B2, B6, Biotin and C
- Acids: Acetic acid (major), Citric acid, Folic acid, pantothenic acid
- Starch: Pectin
- Enzyme/ co-enzyme(Biotin)
- Flavonoids: Catechin, Epicatechin
How it’s made?-Vinegar is made in a two-step process-
- The first step involves crushed apples (or apple cider) to yeast, which ferment the sugars and turn them into alcohol.
- In the final step, bacteria are added to the alcohol solution, which further ferment the alcohol and turn it into acetic acid, which has effective biological effects.
Apple cider for weight loss: From the literature (Short Literature reviews):
- Kondo et al. investigated the effect of acetic acid on the prevention of obesity in high fat fed mice. According to the research, acetic acid administration inhibited the accumulation of body fat and heptic lipids without changing food consumption (Tomoo Kondo , Mikiya Kishi, Takashi Fushimi and Takayuki Kaga, J. Agric. Food Chem., 2009, 57 (13), pp 5982–5986).
- Acetic acid (AcOH), a main component of vinegar, lately was found to suppress body fat accumulation in animal studies. The effects of vinegar intake on the reduction of body fat mass in obese Japanese were investigated by T. Kondo et al. in a double-blind trial. Body weight, BMI, visceral fat area, waist circumference, and serum triglyceride levels were significantly lower in vinegar intake groups than in the placebo (no intake vinegar) group (Tomoo Kondo , Mikiya Kishi, Takashi Fushimi and Takayuki Kaga, Journal of Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, Volume 73(2009)1837-43).
- H. Bouderbala et al. reported the Anti-obesogenic effect of apple cider vinegar in rats subjected to a high fat diet. The study reveals that the metabolic disorder caused by high fat diet are thwarted by taking apple cider vinegar , which proves to have a satiating effect, antihyperlipidemic and hypoglycemic effects and seems prevent the atherogenic risk(H. Bouderbala, H. Kaddouri, O. Kheroua, D. Saidi, Ann Cardiol Angeiol (Paris). 2016 Jun; 65(3): 208-13)
- The addition of vinegar or peanut products to a high-glycemic load meal significantly reduced postprandial glycemia(Johnston CS, Buller AJ , J Am Diet Assoc. 2005 Dec; 105(12):1939-42.)
- According to Carol S. Johnston et al, vinegar can significantly improve postprandial insulin sensitivity in insulin resistant subjects.( CS Johnston, CM Kim, AJ Buller, Diabetes Care 2004 Jan; 27(1): 281-82
- Beheshti et al. recently investigated the influence of apple cider vinegar on blood lipids. This study indicated that the consumption of apple cider vinegar can reduce the LDL (bad), triglyceride and cholesterol level in patients with hyperlipidemia, which is a known risk factor for atherosclerosis. According to them, apple cider can be used to prevent and even treat this complication and probably other heart problems (Z. Beheshti et al, Life Science Journal, 2012; 9(4): 2431-40
How to reduce weight? -On the basis of the little knowledge obtained from literature review, the following points can be considered:
- Organic acids (mainly CH3COOH) and enzymes that present in the Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), can suppress the Appetite, which causes the metabolism rate of the body increases and finally the rate of fat consumption of body also increases.
- High blood sugar can make you hungrier. ACV reduces the level of blood sugar, which means less insulin will be made in the body. If the insulin level of blood is low, it will help to lose weight.
Rules of Drinking
- 1tsp of ACV + 1 cup of water (the amount of water can be increased if you want)
- Drink this solution before meals one time a day (up to 2 weeks). After 2 weeks; you can drink up to three times a day at least three months continuously.
Taking “apple cider vinegar drink” with balanced foods regularly will reduce weight. However, those who do not want to control food (frozen food, junk food, carbonated beverages), they will not get any benefit from this vinegar.